Invigorate the body and elevate the mind with this sun salutation sequence. Coordinate the breath with each posture, and start every morning with this yoga essential flow to feel energized and ready to take on the day!
SUN SALUTATION YOGA ESSENTIAL FLOW
Repeat this flow 4 times, twice on each side. If you’re new to yoga, do the beginners salutation instead.
1. Mountain pose: Stand up tall with your feet together and distribute your weight equally between both feet. Keep your spine long, your body soft and bring your palms together in front of the heart. Stay in mountain pose for five breaths.
2. Upward salute pose: Inhale, turn your palms out, and bring your arms up and overhead. Expand the chest, look up and maintain your neck and head relaxed. Bring your palms together, lengthen the spine and stretch your shoulders and belly.
3. Standing forward bend pose: Exhale slowly as you bend from the hip joints, draw your belly slightly in and lengthen your torso.
4. Standing half forward bend pose: Inhale as you lift your chin and your chest, and look forward. Press your hands into your shins and straighten the spine.
5. High lunge pose: Exhale as you step your left leg straight back and lay your torso on your right thigh.
6. Plank pose: Inhale as you step your right leg back, beside the left.
7. Low plank pose: Exhale as you shift your weight forward, and bend your elbows until your arms form a 90-degree angle.
8. Upward facing dog pose: Inhale, straighten your arms, lift your torso up, press the top of your feet into the floor and lift your thighs.
9. Downward facing dog pose: Extend your arms and legs, lift your hips up and back, and exhale. Stay in downward dog for five breaths.
10. High lunge pose: Exhale as you step your left leg to the front and lay your torso on your left thigh.
11. Standing half forward bend pose: Inhale as you step your right leg forward, press your hands into your shins and straighten the spine.
12. Standing forward bend pose: Exhale as you fold completely at the waist.
13. Upward salute pose: Inhale, lengthen the spine, and bring your arms up and overhead.