Relieve PMS symptoms and ease cramps with this 13-minute yoga essential flow. A sequence of 16 yoga poses to help you strengthen the body, calm the mind and alleviate pain caused by menstrual cramps.
PMS AND CRAMPS RELIEF YOGA ESSENTIAL FLOW
1. Easy pose: 60 seconds. Sit on the floor, cross your legs, lengthen the spine and focus on your breath.
2. Seated spinal twist pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Exhale as you place your right hand on the left knee and twist your torso to the left. Hold the pose for 30 seconds, switch sides and repeat.
3. Seated side bend pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Reach your right arm up and overhead, lean to the left and pull your rib cage to the right. Repeat on the right side.
4. Seated mountain pose: 30 seconds. Inhale, reach your arms up and overhead and interlace your fingers.
5. Cow face pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Cross your right leg over the left, bring your right arm up toward the ceiling, bend the elbow and rest your right palm on the upper back. Bring your left arm out to the side, bend the elbow, move your left hand behind your back toward the right hand, and reach to grasp the fingers. Hold the pose for 30 seconds, switch sides and repeat.
6. Head to knee forward bend pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Extend your legs, bend your right knee and bring the sole of your right foot close to your left thigh. Exhale as you bend at the hips, slowly lower your torso and grab your left foot. Hold the pose for 30 seconds and then switch sides.
7. Seated forward bend pose: 30 seconds. Extend both legs to the front and exhale as you bend at the hips and lower your torso.
8. Reclining bound angle pose: 60 seconds. Lie on your back, bend the knees and let your thighs fall open. Press the soles of your feet together and keep the knees relaxed.
9. Cobra pose: 30 seconds. Lie on your belly and, as you inhale, straighten your arms and lift your chest off the floor.
10. Locust pose: 30 seconds. Extend your arms back, place your chin on the floor and inhale as you lift your chest, head, arms and legs off the mat.
11. Camel pose: 30 seconds. Kneel on the mat with your legs hip-width apart. Tighten your core, lift your rib cage, lean back and reach your hands toward the heels. Drop your head gently back and gaze at the tip of your nose.
12. Downward facing dog pose: 60 seconds. Place your hands on the floor, extend your arms and legs, and lift your hips up and back. Breathe deeply, open your shoulders and push your heels down.
13. Standing forward bend pose: 30 seconds. Exhale as you walk your hands back, draw your belly in and lengthen your torso.
14. Low lunge pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Step your right foot forward, lower your left knee to the floor and breathe in as you lift your torso up and sweep your arms out to the sides and overhead. Switch sides and repeat.
15. Wide legged forward bend twist pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Step your feet wide apart, bend forward and move your right hand to the center of the mat. As you inhale, reach your left arm up toward the ceiling, twist your torso to the left and turn your head to follow your arm. Hold for 30 seconds and then switch sides.
16. Extended side angle pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Rotate your left foot out, to a 90-degree angle, bend your left knee and place your left hand on the inside of your left foot. Extend your right arm over the top of your head, and gaze up toward the ceiling. Hold the pose for 30 seconds and then repeat on the opposite side.