Give your brain a break and achieve inner peace with this beginner-friendly mind and body relaxation sequence. These 12 soothing yoga poses will help you redirect your mind to become conscious of our breath and allow every muscle in your body to be in a relaxed state of awareness.
MIND & BODY RELAXATION YOGA ESSENTIAL FLOW
1. Hero pose: 60 seconds. Kneel on the floor with your knees together and your feet hip-width apart. Sit back between your feet, place your hands on your thighs and gaze forward.
2. Lion pose: 30 seconds. Bring your feet together, open the knees and place your hands on the floor with your fingers pointing back.
3. Extended puppy pose: 60 seconds. Walk your hands forward, pull your hips back toward the heels and lengthen the spine. Rest your forehead on the mat and relax.
4. Cat pose: 15 seconds + 15 seconds + 15 seconds. Get on your hands and knees and exhale as you round your spine toward the ceiling.
5. Cow pose: 15 seconds + 15 seconds + 15 seconds. Inhale as you curve your belly down toward the floor and feel the stretch in your chest and neck. Repeat this cat-cow flow 3 times.
6. Downward facing dog pose: 30 seconds. Extend your arms and legs and lift your hips up and back. Breathe deeply, open your shoulders and push your heels down.
7. Standing forward bend pose: 30 seconds. Exhale as you walk your hands back, draw your belly in and lengthen your torso.
8. Upward salute pose: 30 seconds. Inhale as you lift your torso, and bring your arms up and overhead. Expand the chest, look up and maintain your neck and head relaxed. Bring your palms together, lengthen the spine and stretch your shoulders and belly.
9. Warrior II pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Step to the side with your left foot and rotate it out, to a 90-degree angle. Bend your left knee, keeping it in line with the ankle, rotate your head to the left and bring the arms up to shoulder height with the palms facing down.
10. Tree pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Transfer your weight to the right foot, bend your left knee and place the sole of your left foot against the inner right thigh. Inhale as you raise your arms above your head and press your hands together. Stay in tree pose for 30 seconds and then repeat this warrior II-tree flow on the opposite side.
11. Upward salute pose: 30 seconds. Inhale as you place both feet on the floor and return to upward salute pose.
12. Seated forward bend pose: 30 seconds. Sit on the floor with your feet together and your legs extended. Exhale as you bend at the hips and slowly lower your torso. Lengthen the spine, grab your feet and hold the pose for 30 seconds.
13. Reclining bound angle pose: 60 seconds. Lie down on the mat, bend your knees and let your thighs fall open. Press the soles of your feet together and keep your knees relaxed.
REJUVENATE & REAP THE BENEFITS
Relax, unwind and finish this yoga sequence with an inversion pose like legs up the wall. Stay in legs up the wall for 2 minutes.