Work your legs, hips, thighs and glutes and improve lower body strength with this yoga essential flow. Activate the muscles, build flexibility and keep your focus on your breath as you gently move through these 15 grounding poses.
LOWER BODY STRENGTH YOGA ESSENTIAL FLOW
Start this lower body strengthening sequence with a warm up flow and then repeat this sequence 4 times, twice on each side.
1. Mountain pose: 30 seconds. Stand up tall with your feet together and bring your palms in front of the heart.
2. Standing half forward bend pose: 30 seconds. Exhale as you lower your torso, press your hands into the shins, straighten the spine and look forward.
3. Chair pose: 30 seconds. Inhale as you bring your arms up, bend your knees and sit back.
4. Warrior II pose: 30 seconds. Stand up, step to the side with your left foot and rotate it out, to a 90-degree angle. Bend your left knee, keeping it in line with the ankle, rotate your head to the left and bring the arms up to shoulder height.
5. Warrior I pose: 30 seconds. Rotate your torso to the left and inhale as you bring the arms up and overhead.
6. Lord of the dance pose: 30 seconds. Transfer your weight to the left leg, bend your right knee and bring your right foot toward your right buttock. Reach back with your right hand, grasp your foot, and raise the left hand up toward the ceiling.
7. Bound angle pose: 30 seconds. Sit on the floor, bend your knees, press the soles of the feet together and drop your knees out to the sides.
8. Head to knee forward bend pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Extend your left leg and bring the sole of the right foot close to your left thigh. Exhale as you bend at the hips, slowly lower your torso and grab your left foot. Hold the pose for 30 seconds and then switch sides.
9. Wide angle seated forward bend pose: 30 seconds. Extend both legs and open them as wide as it feels comfortable. Place your hands on the floor, walk your hands forward as far as you can and lengthen the torso.
10. Garland pose: 30 seconds. Stand up with your feet a little wider than hip-width apart and squat. Open your thighs, lean your torso forward and press your elbows against the knees.
11. Frog pose: 30 seconds. Start in child’s pose, with your torso lying down and your arms stretched in front of you. Walk your knees out to the sides, as wide apart as it feels comfortable, and place your forearms on the mat. Flex your feet and rest the inside edges on the mat.
12. Locust pose: 30 seconds. Lie on your belly with your legs together, arms extended back, and your chin on the floor. Inhale and lift the chest, head, arms and legs off the floor.
13. Camel pose: 30 seconds. Kneel on the floor with your legs hip-width apart, lean back and reach your hands toward the heels.
14. Bridge pose: 30 seconds. Lie on your back, bend both knees and place your feet flat on the floor. Clasp the hands below your pelvis and inhale as you lift the hips and chest up.
15. Happy baby pose: 30 seconds. While on your back, exhale and bend your knees into the belly. Inhale, hold the outside edge of your feet, open the knees and bring them up toward your armpits.