Relieve knee pain at home with this 12-minute yoga essential flow. Perform these yoga poses mindfully to help protect the knees, improve alignment and regain knee strength and flexibility.
KNEE PAIN RELIEF YOGA ESSENTIAL FLOW
1. Mountain pose: 30 seconds. Stand up tall with your feet together and distribute your weight equally between both feet. Keep your spine long, your body soft and bring your palms together in front of the heart.
2. Chair pose: 30 seconds. Inhale, bring your arms up with the palms facing each other and, as you exhale, bend your knees and sit back.
3. Standing forward bend pose: 30 seconds. Exhale slowly as you bend from the hip joints, draw your belly slightly in and lengthen your torso.
4. High lunge pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Inhale, step your left leg straight back and lay your torso on your right thigh. Hold the pose for 30 seconds, switch sides and repeat.
5. Standing forward bend pose: 30 seconds. Bring both feet together, stand up and exhale as you bend from the hip joints and lengthen the torso.
6. Tree pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Go into mountain pose, transfer your weight to the left foot, bend your right knee and place the sole of your right foot against the inner left thigh. Inhale as you raise your arms above your head and press your hands together. Switch sides and repeat.
7. Eagle pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Return to mountain pose, stretch your arms forward, cross your left arm on top of the right, bend your elbows, raise and cross your forearms, so that the palms of your hands are facing each other. Bend your knees and put your weight on the left foot. Pull your right knee toward the chest, cross your right thigh over the left and hook the right foot behind the left calf. Hold the pose for 30 seconds and then switch sides.
8. Chair pose: 30 seconds. Place both feet on the floor, bring your arms up, bend your knees and sit back.
9. Standing forward bend pose: 30 seconds. Exhale, bend from the hip joints and lengthen your torso.
10. Downward facing dog pose: 60 seconds. Walk your hands to the front, lift your hips up and back, and push your heels down.
11. Cobra pose: 30 seconds. Lie on your belly with your hands under your shoulders and, as you inhale, straighten your arms and lift your chest off the floor.
12. Bridge pose: 30 seconds. Lie on your back, place your feet flat on the floor, inhale and lift your hips and chest up.
13. Wind release pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Extend both legs and breathe in as you lift your right leg and bend the knee. Exhale as you pull the right knee toward your chest and press your thigh into your belly. Hold the pose for 30 seconds, exhale as you release, and repeat with the opposite leg.
14. Supine spinal twist pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Bend your knees, rotate your hips to the left, extend your left leg, and cross your right knee over to the left side. Extend your right arm out to the side and rest your left hand on your right knee. Turn your head to the right and hold the pose for 30 seconds. Exhale as you release the pose, and repeat on the opposite side.
15. Reclining bound angle pose: 60 seconds. Bend your knees and let your thighs fall open. Press the soles of your feet together and keep your knees relaxed.
16. Child’s pose: 60 seconds. Sit on your heels, lay your torso down and stretch your arms in front of you.