Turn your rest days into active recovery and maximize your body’s repair with this 19-minute yoga essential flow. Take deep breaths to increase blood flow, and lengthen your muscles and tendons to increase your body’s mobility and flexibility.
ACTIVE RECOVERY YOGA ESSENTIAL FLOW
Repeat this flow 2 times, once on each side.
1. Mountain pose: 60 seconds. Stand up tall with your feet together and distribute your weight equally between both feet. Keep your spine long, your body soft and bring your palms together in front of the heart.
2. Upward salute pose: 30 seconds. Inhale, turn your palms out and bring your arms up and overhead. Expand the chest, look up and maintain your neck and head relaxed. Bring your palms together, lengthen the spine and stretch your shoulders and belly.
3. Standing forward bend pose: 30 seconds. Exhale slowly as you bend from the hip joints, draw your belly slightly in and lengthen your torso.
4. Downward facing dog pose: 60 seconds. Walk your hands to the front and lift your hips up and back.
5. Plank pose: 30 seconds. Exhale as you step your legs back and straighten the spine.
6. Cobra pose: 30 seconds. Lie on your belly and, as you inhale, straighten your arms and lift your chest off the floor.
7. Downward facing dog pose: 60 seconds. Extend your arms and legs and lift your hips up and back.
8. High lunge pose: 30 seconds. Exhale as you step your left leg to the front, bend your knee and lay your torso on the left thigh.
9. Warrior I pose: 30 seconds. Lift your torso and rotate your right foot out, to a 90-degree angle. Bring your arms up and overhead, with the palms facing inward.
10. Warrior II pose: 30 seconds. Rotate your torso to the right, bring the arms up to shoulder height and keep them parallel to the floor.
11. Extended triangle pose: 30 seconds. Straighten your left leg and exhale as you bring your left hand to the floor, on the inside or outside of the left foot. Reach the right arm toward the ceiling, and gaze at your right thumb.
12. Tree pose: 30 seconds. Go into mountain pose, transfer your weight to the right foot, bend your left knee and place the sole of your left foot against the inner right thigh. Inhale as you raise your arms above your head and press your hands together.
13. Bound angle pose: 30 seconds. Sit up, bend your knees, press the soles of your feet together and drop your knees out to the sides.
14. Bridge pose: 30 seconds. Lie on your back, bend both knees and place your feet flat on the floor. Clasp the hands below your pelvis and inhale as you lift the hips and chest up.
15. Knees to chest pose: 60 seconds. Lower the hips and chest back to the floor and pull both knees up toward your chest.