Are you new to yoga? This beginners yoga sequence is perfect if you’re looking to achieve more flexibility and get in touch with your spiritual side. Stretch your body, practice mindfulness and let go of emotional baggage.
BEGINNERS YOGA ESSENTIAL FLOW
1. Easy pose: 30 seconds. Sit on the floor, cross your legs, lengthen the spine and focus on your breath.
2. Seated mountain pose: 30 seconds. Inhale, reach your arms up and overhead and interlace your fingers.
3. Seated spinal twist pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Exhale as you place your right hand on the left knee and twist your torso to the left. Hold the pose for 30 seconds, switch sides and repeat.
4. Seated side bend pose: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Reach your right arm up and overhead, lean to the left side and pull your rib cage to the right. Repeat on the right side.
5. Child’s pose: 60 seconds. Sit on your heels, lay your torso down and stretch your arms in front of you.
6. Cat pose: 30 seconds. Get up on your hands and knees and exhale as you round your spine toward the ceiling.
7. Cow pose: 30 seconds. Inhale as you curve your belly down toward the floor and feel the stretch in your chest and neck.
8. Extended puppy pose: 30 seconds. Walk your hands forward, pull your hips back toward the heels, lengthen the spine and rest your forehead on the mat.
9. Downward facing dog pose: 30 seconds. Breathe out, extend your legs, lift your hips up and back, and push your heels down.
10. Standing forward bend pose: 30 seconds. Exhale as you step forward, and fold completely at the waist.
11. Upward salute pose: 30 seconds. Inhale, lift your torso up, bring your arms up and overhead and press your palms together.
12. Warrior II pose: 30 seconds. Step to the side with your left foot and rotate it out, to a 90-degree angle. Bend your left knee, rotate your head to the left, bring the arms up to shoulder height, and keep them parallel to the floor.
13. Warrior I pose: 30 seconds. Turn your torso to the left and bring the arms up and overhead, with the palms facing inward.
14. Warrior II pose: 30 seconds. Reverse the feet, bend your right knee, rotate your head to the right and raise your arms.
15. Warrior I pose: 30 seconds. Turn your torso to the right and inhale as you bring your arms up.
16. Mountain pose: 60 seconds. Stand with your feet together, distribute your weight equally between both feet and breathe deeply. Keep your spine long, your body soft and bring your palms together in front of the heart.