To properly prepare your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints for the workout to follow you need to always include a warm up period at the beginning of your workout routine. The warm up also prepares your heart gradually for an increase in activity and reduces the chance of injuries.
UPPER BODY WARM UP FOR BEGINNERS
UPPER BODY WORKOUT ROUTINE FOR BEGINNERS INSTRUCTIONS
1. Run in place: 60 seconds. Stand straight, open your chest, pull your knees up and slowly land on the balls of your feet.
2. Jump rope: 60 seconds. Keep your knees slightly bent, jump with one foot at a time and alternate between feet.
3. Side shuffle: 60 seconds. Start in an athletic position, with your knees slightly bent and your hips back. Take a few quick steps to the right and then touch your right foot. Repeat on the left side.
4. Modified jumping jacks: 60 seconds. Start with your feet together and your hands by your sides. Take a step to one side and bring your hands above your head. Return to the starting position and repeat on the opposite side.
5. Standing mountain climbers: 60 seconds. Bring one knee up to waist level and extend the opposite arm above your head. Alternate sides and repeat for the duration of the set.
6. Standing side crunch: 60 seconds. Shift your weight to the right leg, crunch to the left side and bring your left knee up toward your elbow. Switch legs and keep alternating sides until the set is complete.
7. Boxer squat punch: 60 seconds. Start in a squat position and, as you stand up, shift your weight to one leg and punch with the opposite arm.
8. Reverse lunge front kick: 60 seconds. Step back with your left leg and lunge. As you come up kick your left leg up. Repeat with the opposite leg and keep alternating sides.
9. Big arm circles: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Rotate your arms forward making big circles and then switch, rotating backward.
10. Arm swings: 60 seconds. Stand up straight with your feet shoulder-width apart. Cross your arms at the front and then quickly bring them back as far as you can.
WORKOUT AND STATIC STRETCHES
Enter your weight to find out how many calories you can burn doing this upper body workout routine for beginners: