Challenge your abs, obliques and lower back with this set of core strengthening exercises. A thorough core workout routine designed to transform, tone and sculpt your midsection.
CORE STRENGTHENING EXERCISES
CORE STRENGTHENING EXERCISES INSTRUCTIONS
Start your workout with a core warm up routine.
Repeat this circuit 3 times and rest for 60 seconds between sets.
1. Criss cross crunches: 60 seconds. Stand with your hands behind your head, bend your right leg and lift your knee as high as you can. Rotate your torso to the right and bring your right knee to your left elbow. Repeat on the opposite side.
2. Plank bird dog: 45 seconds. Start in a plank position and extend one leg and the opposite arm at the same time. Pause for 2 to 3 seconds, return to the starting position and switch sides.
3. Dumbbell leg loop: 45 seconds. Sit on the floor, hold a dumbbell on your right hand, lean your torso back, and lift your legs a few inches off the floor. Drive your right knee up toward the chest, and loop the dumbbell under the right knee and to the left hand. Switch legs and repeat.
4. Leaning camel: 60 seconds. Get down on your knees, with your thighs perpendicular to the floor, and hold the dumbbell in front of your chest. Slowly lean your torso back and then return to the initial position.
5. Plank straight arm kickback: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Grab a second dumbbell and get into a plank position, with your wrists under your shoulders and your feet hip width apart. Lift one arm up and back, keeping it straight. Lower your arm to the starting position, repeat for 30 seconds and switch sides.
6. Bird dogs: 60 seconds. Start on your hands and knees with the hands under the shoulders and the knees under the hips. Extend one leg and the opposite arm at the same time and pause. Switch sides and repeat.
7. Tabletop reverse pike: 45 seconds. Sit on the mat with your knees bent, your arms extended back, your fingers facing the body, and lift your butt off the mat, coming into a tabletop position. Lower your hips, straighten your legs and lengthen the spine. Repeat for 45 seconds.
8. Side crunch leg raise: 45 seconds. Lie on your back with your legs fully extended and your arms by your sides. Raise your left leg and your upper back off the floor, reach your arms to the left side and crunch. Switch sides and repeat.
9. Dumbbell side bend: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a dumbbell in your right hand. Bend to your right side, as far as it feels comfortable, and pause. Return to the starting position, repeat for 30 seconds and then switch sides.
10. Side plank rotation: 30 seconds + 30 seconds. Start in a side plank position, with your right shoulder over your elbow, your body in a straight line and reach your left hand toward the ceiling. Twist your torso forward and slowly place your left arm under your body. Repeat and then switch sides.
After these core strengthening exercises, relax your muscles, tendons and joints with a core stretching routine.
Enter your weight to find out how many calories you can burn doing these core strengthening exercises: