Seeds such as pumpkin, sesame, flax, and sunflower contain high levels of essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and all the amino acids needed to form complete and digestible protein. Because seeds have a high-fat content they tend to soak up pesticides, so to get more nutrients and fewer chemicals, choose organic seeds whenever you can.
These gluten-free seed crackers go well with any spread, dip or cheese, but you can also crumble them and sprinkle on top of soups, salads, breakfast cereal, stews… They’re ready to be turned into crispy healthy crumbles and can save you lots of time in the kitchen. Just make them twice a month on your meal prep day and you’ll always have ready-to-go super seed crumbles to add an extra dose of healthy fats and protein to your dishes.
Gluten-Free Super Seed Crackers Recipe
Prep Time: 20 min + 60 min | Cook Time: 35 min | Yields: 30
+ 3/4 cup (100 g) pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
+ 3/4 cup (100 g) sunflower seeds
+ 2/3 cup (100 g) + 1/2 cup (75 g) flax seeds
+ 3/4 cup (180 ml) water
+ 1/4 onion, finely chopped
+ 2 garlic cloves, minced
+ zest of 1/2 lemon
+ 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
+ 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
+ 1/2 tbsp tamari sauce
+ 3 tbsp olive oil
+ 1/2 tsp sea salt
+ 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Pour 1/2 cup flax seeds into a coffee grinder, and grind them into flour. In a large bowl combine ground and whole flax seeds with water, onion, garlic, lemon zest, rosemary, thyme, tamari sauce, sea salt and black pepper and mix well. Let mixture sit on the countertop for 30 to 60 minutes until it thickens.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Add remaining seeds plus olive oil and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and the dough becomes very thick (if the dough is too thick, add one or two teaspoons of water until the dough is manageable).
3. Divide the dough roughly in half and place it between two sheets of baking paper. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a thin sheet. Remove top layer of baking paper and using the tip of a knife, score the dough into large rectangles. Repeat the process with remaining dough.
4. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove from oven, flip the cracker over and let bake for another 10-15 minutes, until fully crisp and golden.
5. Let cool completely, then break crackers and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!