A well-nourished body will always out-perform an undernourished body. What this means is that when we eat the right foods we improve our athletic performance and get the most out of the time we spend working out. We also experience a boost in our mood and energy levels that is crucial for motivating us to exercise. It’s very important to eat healthy and clean at every meal, but today we’re focusing on pre and post-workout nutrition. Here are the guidelines on what to eat before and after exercise.
- Eat a light meal 20 to 40 minutes before exercise.
- Consume foods that are easy to digest and that will give you enough energy to boost your workout.
- Look for foods that are rich in carbohydrates and protein.
- Fresh and dried fruits (bananas, apples, grapefruit, berries, dates, figs, raisins, etc.)
- Dairy and alternatives (yogurt, kefir, milk, almond milk, etc.)
- Whole grains and flours (oats, brown rice, corn, wheat, etc)
- 1 yogurt + 1/2 cup oatmeal + 1/4 cup dried fruit
- 1 slice of whole bread + 1tsp jam + 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 brown rice cake + 1tsp honey + 1/2 cup fruit you prefer
- Eat a meal 30 to 60 minutes after exercise.
- Consume nutrient dense foods and drink plenty of water to rehydrate.
- Look for foods that are rich in protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats.
- Animal or plant-based protein (beans, tofu, eggs, fish, quinoa, etc.)
- Whole grains and vegetables (sweet potatoes, brown rice, pasta, spinach, kale, etc.)
- Healthy fats (olive oil, almond butter, avocado, coconut oil, etc.)
- Smoothie (1 yogurt + 1/4 cup nuts + 1/4 cup seeds + 1/2 cup veggies you prefer)
- Power bowl (1/2 cup quinoa + wild salmon + 1 cup vegetables + 2tsp olive oil)
- Sandwich (2 slices of whole bread + 1 egg + 1tbsp hummus + veggies of choice)
Keep your body well nourished and hydrated all day long. Drinking plenty of water and eating foods that are rich in protein, carbohydrates, healthy fats, fiber, and nutrients is key, not only to get the most out of your workouts but also to stay healthy, strong and fit!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.