Primary muscles: Abs, obliques
Secondary muscles: Core, glutes, hip flexors, quads
Equipment: No equipment
Single Leg Stretch Instructions
1. Lie on the floor with both legs extended and arms along the sides with your palms facing down.
2. Pull your abs in, lift both shoulders off the floor and simultaneously bend your right knee.
3. Pull the knee in toward your chest and hold your right ankle with your right hand and your right knee with your left hand.
4. Slowly switch leg and hand positions and keep your extended leg raised a few inches off the floor with the toes pointed.
5. Keep switching leg positions until the set is complete.
Proper Form And Breathing Pattern
Engage your core, keep your lower back pressed against the floor, relax your head and neck and keep your torso perfectly still. Move your feet in a straight line, inhale for one set (while you repeat the movement with both legs) and then exhale for the next set.
From the Shop
The single leg stretch strengthens the abdominal muscles, stabilizes the spine, and helps build strength in the torso. This pilates exercise improves your endurance, coordination, stability and warms up the body.
Single Leg Stretch Demonstration
Sets And Reps
Repeat the exercise for 30 seconds to 1 minute or do 5 to 12 repetitions with each leg. For a complete core workout, pair the single leg stretch with the straight leg raise, bicycle crunches, and the t press.
To calculate the number of calories burned doing the pilates single leg stretch, enter your weight and the duration of the exercise:
Related Core Exercises
Move quickly from one exercise to the next while performing this 15-Minute Abs & Obliques Superset. Supersets help you finish your …
Practicing yoga and meditation regularly reduces stress and anxiety levels. By transferring our focus and attention to our body and our breath …