Primary muscles: Glutes, inner thighs, core
Secondary muscles: Quads, hamstrings, hip flexors, calves
Equipment: No equipment
GATE SWINGS INSTRUCTIONS
1. Start in a sumo squat position, with your feet in a wide stance, your toes pointing out to the sides and your thighs parallel to the floor.
2. Jump up, crossing your legs.
3. Jump again, uncrossing them.
4. Bend your knees, press your hips back and return to the starting position.
5. Repeat until the set is complete.
PROPER FORM AND BREATHING PATTERN
Keep your core tight, your back straight, and maintain your knees soft and in line with your toes. Breathe out as you jump, and land slowly on the balls of your feet.
The gate swings is a great cardio move that also trains your legs, glutes, and core muscles. This exercise strengthens your heart and muscles and improves your aerobic fitness.
SETS AND REPS
Practice your exercise form first with plie squats, and work on improving your core strength with planks. Once you’ve acquired proper exercise form, add 2 or 3 sets of 12 to 15 gate swings to your lower body or full body workouts.
To calculate the number of calories burned doing the gate swings, enter your weight and the duration of the exercise: