Primary muscles: Shoulders
Secondary muscles: Triceps, biceps, lats
DUMBBELL PUNCHES INSTRUCTIONS
1. Stand with your feet hip-width apart, your knees slightly bent and hold a dumbbell in each hand.
2. Take a step forward, keep your back foot at a 45-degree angle and position your body partially sideways.
3. Bring your arms up, so that the palms of the hands are facing the sides of the face.
4. Push one arm out in a punching motion and then return to the starting position.
5. Switch sides and repeat the movement.
PROPER FORM AND BREATHING PATTERN
Distribute your weight equally between both feet and shift the weight onto the balls of the feet. Roll your shoulders forward, keep your chin down and look up. Exhale as you push one arm out and don’t extend your arm completely.
The dumbbell punch is a boxing move that is frequently used for speed, agility and strength. This exercise targets your shoulders, triceps and lats and helps to tone and sculpt your upper body.
SETS AND REPS
Choose a light pair of dumbbells and complete 3 sets of 10 to 15 repetitions. If your want to improve your stamina and lose weight, do 30-second to 1-minute sets of alternating dumbbell punches and keep the movement fast and smooth. Pair this exercise with different leg movements, as in the boxer squat punch, and you will burn even more calories.
To calculate the number of calories burned doing dumbbell punches, enter your weight and the duration of the exercise: